When SQL-Retriever's debug is activated, two files are created: one on the PC and one on the UNIX machine.
- the PC log file is called
VWODBC.TXT and is created in C:\;
- the UNIX debug log is called
vwodbc.log and is found in the home directory of the user that SQL-Retriever is using to connect to the UNIX machine
Debug is switched on by reconfiguring the SQL-Retriever ODBC datasource setup (Control Panel/ODBC) and using
the Diagnostics tab or button. In most cases, all the Options should be set by using the "Set All" button.
Default debug log filenames (above) can be changed in the SQL-Retriever ODBC Datasource Setup Diagnostics
window if desired. It is advised that "Append to File" should always be checked.
- remember to turn debug off by using "Clear All" in the Diagnostics tab once you have produced debug
logs or SQL-Retriever will work very slowly!
- in some circumstances, there may not be a host debug file (vwodbc.log) as this is only created once a connection
has been made to the UNIX machine. If you see an error in Windows that clearly shows a database error message (e.g.
Oracle's "ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel"), it is highly probable that there will be
a vwodbc.log created. If you are still having problems finding the vwodbc.log and you think one should be created,
explicitly state where the vwodbc.log should be created. For example, in the SQL-Retriever ODBC datasource
setup under the Diagnostic tab, for Server/Debug File, type in '/tmp/vwodbc.log';
- A file SQL.LOG file is generated on the PC only by the ODBC Driver Manager and not SQL-Retriever. The SQL.LOG
file is only useful in very rare circumstances; please do not send it to Support unless explicitly asked to do
- The UNIX SQL-Retriever debug log (vwodbc.log) will not be created if you are connecting as user 'root'. This
is a safety feature to avoid potentially filling up the root filesystem of the UNIX machine (as the UNIX debug
log is created in the home directory of the user being used to connect).
For debug logs for JDBC, see jdbc_debug.shtml.
Last modified: Wednesday, 22-Mar-2017 15:33:44 GMT